Friday 30 March 2012

Friday Flash - Nevermore

A piercing caw broke the midnight silence. Maxwell Fischer groaned and pried open his crusted eyelids. Moonlight sneaked through a gap in the curtains and fell across the carpet in silky waves. He threw back the covers and swung his feet to the floor with a thud.

“Not again,” he growled. He hauled himself upright and glared at the window.

“Three weeks, you bastard. Three weeks!” He screamed at the avian silhouette beyond the curtains. The bird continued to caw, a plaintive cry that bled melancholy into the nocturnal peace.

Maxwell shuffled across the floor and threw open the curtains. His bloodshot eyes peered into the night outside. The raven sat on the branch opposite the window.

“You. You always wait until I’m just falling asleep, and then CAW!”

The raven fluttered its wings and fixed him with a steely glare. Maxwell scowled at the bird. With one hand, he slid open the catch on the window, and pushed up the sash. With the other hand, he felt around in the corner beside the window. His fingers fastened around a metal tube. He lifted it to the window, and poked it through the gap.

Moonlight glinted along the barrel of the shotgun. The raven stared at Maxwell through the window and let out a final caw. Maxwell grimaced.

“Never more.”

Monday 26 March 2012

Photo Prompt 78

New prompt available!

If you want to use the prompt, all I ask is that you include a link to this entry and a credit to me for the photograph, and that you post a link to your story in the comments box below so I can see what you've come up with! If you don't comment on this entry, then I can't comment on your story.

The 78th prompt is Burnt Grass.

All photo prompts are my own photography - you can find more of it on Flickr. You can also buy my prints from Deviantart. 20% of all proceeds go to charity - the other 80% go towards my PhD fees!